Friday, October 15, 2010

The journey

It started at 15.30 on a Thursday (14/10/2010) from the international bus station in Sofia. I bought the cheapest 2-way ticket and still we had a free bottle of water and free dinner ("pleskavitsa" at a nice Serbian restaurant 2 hours after the border:) and we were only 3 passengers (an older man going to Trieste and an older woman going to Firenze and then Elba isle) on the bus and 2 drivers so I almost had the bus for myself.


We passed the border between Bulgaria and Serbia relatively fast (it took us only 1 hour considered I had waited there once before for about 6) and they made us get off the bus at the Bulgarian side and at the Serbian - a friendly customs guy got on the bus and inspected everything - as they always do - smiling :) It was raining in Serbia, as it had in Bulgaria. We passed through my favourite spot of the road - where the many tunnels and breath-taking rocks are and through Beograd (which looked almost exactly like Sofia. The drivers asked us to carry some cigarettes across the borders because they had bought a lot but we didn't have any problem with that.

It took us about 5 hours to pass through Serbia and we reached the border between Serbia and Croatia at about 22.30. The usual smiling Serbian guy got on the bus and checked our passports on the Serbian side but we weren't so lucky on the Croatian one. There were again a lot of young customs people and a lot of girls. We had to get off with all our luggage and pass an inspection. The first thing that I noticed when I went into the building was the big fat cat taking a nap :) I was so glad that the girl went through my stuff without taking it all out and checked only this and that (she was really puzzled at my transparent bag with medicines and cheched each one). Then they seemed to find my passport interesting because they took it somewhere inside but in a few minutes brought it back withoput saying anything. We stopped after 5 min and had a rest at a gas station - it wasn't rainin aby more and the weather seemed really nice.

Then after another 4-5 hours we reached the Slovenian border - it turned out to be my favourite since on the Serbian side the driver took our passports to the customs and nobody checked us in the bus and on the Slovenian side a guy came on the bus - no getting off and walking half asleep. Since I can never sleep proper on buses I didn't have much rest. When we reached Slovenia I didn't even feel like sleeping and in only an hour we finally reached Ljubljana. I got off the bus at the train/bus station and waited for Ger for about an hour. There were already a lot of people going around in 5 in the morning but it was cold and misty. When Ger arrived we took the bus (2 buses :) home and walked across a river. She lives on the 12th floor so the view is breath-taking. I took a shower and she prepared to go to school. I fell asleep even before she had finished preparing.

No comments:

Post a Comment